Who can benefit from this class?
This course is designed for experienced gift planners and professional advisors who wish to deepen their understanding of the charitable deduction, gift annuity taxation, and other common planned gift calculations. A basic understanding of standard gift planning vehicles is assumed. Advance preparation for the course is not necessary.
Over the course of the day, we discuss the following concepts as they relate to charitable gift annuities, charitable remainder trusts, charitable lead trusts, retained life estates, and pooled income funds.
- Explore the logic underlying charitable deduction and gift annuity taxation calculations
- Examine the influence of the IRS discount rate on different gift plans
- Review the fundamentals of remainder trust taxation
- Understanding the components of FASB liability and gift annuity reserve computations
- Make clear income taxation and transfer taxation of planned gifts
- Explain the calculations for gifts of an income interest and the 5% and 10% tests